Review: Jenny Pox (The Paranormals #1) by J.L. Bryan





My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Published July 22nd 2010


~~

Synopsis:

Eighteen-year-old Jenny Morton has a horrific secret: her touch spreads a deadly supernatural plague, the "Jenny pox." She lives by a single rule: Never touch anyone. A lifetime of avoiding any physical contact with others has made her isolated and painfully lonely in her small rural town.

Then she meets the one boy she can touch. Jenny feels herself falling for Seth...but if she's going to be with him, Jenny must learn to use the deadly pox inside her to confront his ruthless and manipulative girlfriend Ashleigh, who secretly wields the most dangerous power of all.

* * *

Not recommended for readers under eighteen.



~~


Review: 

Sometimes there's that book in your 'to-read' pile that just keeps getting pushed back. I'll admit I'm guilty of that with this particular book. For no other reason than something else always came out, or I received an ARC of a favourite author or sometimes I simply chose another from the dreaded TBR list.
I can safely say I wished I'd read this book sooner. I loved it, I loved Jenny and although it was a long time till we had Seth joining her I thought they made a formidable force. 
Jenny is a nice girl, it's all those around her that are wicked. And nobody can hide away in a small minded town but Jenny found a few good people on her side. A shame that some others just have spite on their minds simply because you don't fit the mould.
All the way from the start to the end the momentum was building, building, until near the end the worst thing in anyone's eyes happened. 
And it's not over yet. Once I got to the end of this book I knew I had Tommy Nightmare (Paranormals #2) also in my TBR  pile.
I'm so excited to see where this series goes!
Definitely worth reading.




Pro's
A good steady slow build-up. A romance that's slow burning and surprise's everyone, with the guy who finally sees what's genuine in front of him, and with good reason.

A good solid story, well thought out.

Great writing. I've not read J.L. Bryan before but I'm looking forward to more.

A female protag you really want to root for.


Con's

Lots of references to religion. I'm not that religious but the strong emphasis of church 'for-and-against' as a euphemism to good v evil is almost overkill in parts.

I had this down as a YA and I know nowadays books are becoming more graphic than they used to be but there is quite a bit of sex in this. Yes I know sex and drugs are prevalent at this age but it could have been toned down a tad.


CB Note to readers: This is a new type of review I'm starting aimed to get to the point and exclude waffle. Points are easier to read. If you prefer this than the usual review please let me know!
It's been a while but I'm back reviewing now!


Available from Amazon:




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from fellow readers. Write a message!