Review: Saving Wishes by G.J. Walker-Smith




My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Published February 12th 2013 



Saving Wishes is about a girl, Charli, who lives in a small town called Piper's Cove in Tasmania. Tasmania is that small little island off Australia just to the south, isolated and extremely quiet. Not much happens there and for a seventeen year old Charli, who has lived with her brother there all her life, there's only one thing she dreams about. Getting off the island and seeing the world.

Her life is pretty simple. Best friend, Nicole, and Charli are taunted on a daily basis by the Beautifuls, a siblingship of girls who are extremely good looking, petty and often malicious. Charli has history with Mitchell, the brother, and she's never been able to live it down.

Along comes Adam, a french-american who has some secrets of his own. Once Charli and Adam get together their lives explode around them.

Saving Wishes was a sweet book. One I could empathize with as I know what being brought up in a small town is like. I disagree with many of the promotion blurbs depicting Charli as a troublemaker or too meek and mild. In my opinion Charli is fortunate to know who she is, and who she wants to be unlike many of the other characters in the story. She's smart, wise and knows her own limits. Yes, she lacks worldly experience but she's an old soul in a young body.

The chemistry with Adam was there from the start. Definitely not instalove but a fond connection pulled the two characters together. Twists, turns and lots of funny, witty moments kept them together. Not even the Beautifuls could penetrate our main characters armour!

The downside of this book and why I marked it to a 4* instead of a 5*? I couldn't help feeling a distance with the emotional side of Charli. Yes, her narrative told us all the things she was thinking but at times the romance and loving side of Charli and Adam wasn't enough to pull me in completely.

Other than that, a great start to what I'm sure will be a great series.

- CBx



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from fellow readers. Write a message!