Arc Review: The Deepest Night (The Sweetest Dark #2) by Shana Abe

The Deepest Night (The Sweetest Dark #2) by Shana Abe  

Publishers: Random House Publishing Group
Published Date: Aug 13th 2013
From: Net Galley
My rating:
4 out of 5
Synopsis:
In the second book in Abe's THE SWEETEST DARK series, Lora puts her powers to the ultimate test. Will it bring her and Armand closer together or destroy them forever?
Review:
Thank you to Shana Abe and Net Galley for allowing me to review this book.

I absolutely loved the Sweetest Dark, and The Deepest Night (2nd book in the series) is as wonderfully written if not better than the first.

My review - The Sweetest Dark by Shana Abe 

First things first, this book doesn't have the heart pounding romance that the first book lauded, but there are a lot of sweet will-they-won't-they moments that really do keep you guessing.

Also (and I guess I have to read Abe's other Drakon Series) there wasn't much in the way of back story i.e. who Eleanor was the daughter of, who the girl in the cave was, Drakon history in general. I thought after reading the first book this would be a fine chance to elaborate but we weren't given much at all.

However, after saying all that, this has to be one of my favourite books in a long while. Full of bravery, courage under fire, making the best of a bad situation and in Eleanor's case, being better than the rest.

Eleanor is an orphan who lives at a prestigious boarding school thanks to a scholarship from the Duke of Idylling. The other girls openly laugh at her and flaunt her misfortunes in her face. Secretly she is a Dragon and can Turn into smoke then ride the thermals in her Dragon form. Her partner in crime is the Duke's son Armand who has more than a soft spot for her. During the day they barely look at each other, but during the dark things are different. But Eleanor is still mourning her lost love Jesse (from The Sweetest Dark). After a strange encounter with the Duke who is currently residing in an asylum, Eleanor is asked to rescue his other son Aubrey who was shot down behind enemy lines (during WW1). Together Armand and Eleanor embark on their adventure with startling results.

I loved the storyline for this book. The adventure part was thrilling, how they had to fly above Europe and scratch around for food and shelter. All the injuries that happened on the way, and the final rescue. I couldn't stop reading until I knew the ending. The revelation from the stars almost had me in tears after Armand finally Turned.

I'm hoping there will be another book but I'm not sure now I've read the Epilogue. Only two things stood out (as an English person reading it). In UK and Europe we do not have blocks. And our fall is called Autumn.

Anyway, a wonderful read, I'm still glowing from the ending!!
-CB x




You can reach Shana Abé here:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from fellow readers. Write a message!