Review: Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout



My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Synopsis:
Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I’d pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring…. until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something…unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon’s touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I’m getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don’t kill him first, that is.

Review:
I love Sci-fi Romance, and last year I read a few but none could come up to the standard of Alexandra May or Lizzie Ford. Most left me wanting.

I read Daimon and Half-Blood right before this one so I knew I like Armentrout's writing style but what I didn't expect was such a great book with a completely different YA genre.

The main character of Katy is a great heroine, and narrator. Her perception is sound and her attitude is the typical don't-take-any-crap heroine that we all love. But what I liked so much was her hate-like-hate relationship with Daemon. She pretty much thinks he's a jerk for up to half way in the book, although she does like his twin sister, Dee. Dee is a great character too and one you can't help feeling sorry for. During their many spats, Dee stands as the go-between to Katy and Daemon, and truly acts like a best friend ought to despite her brothers attitude. In fact, all of the characters were well fleshed out and easy to imagine.

The story itself is quite a simple one once you take out the romance. However, Armentrout picks out the very best storytelling for this one and tells it well.

Now I can't wait for the second one, and I REALLY want to find out what happens next.

Armentrout has just jumped up on my list of favourite authors, and definitely one to watch out for in 2012



You can reach Jennifer L Armentrout here:

 Facebook: Profile 


View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. hoping 2 read this soon
    tnx 4 sharing your thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Roro, you're welcome! Grab this soon, its a great read! CB x

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from fellow readers. Write a message!