Review: Half-Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout


My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Synopsis:
The Hematoi descend from the unions of gods and mortals, and the children of two Hematoi-pure-bloods-have godlike powers. Children of Hematoi and mortals-well, not so much. Half-bloods only have two options: become trained Sentinels who hunt and kill daimons or become servants in the homes of the pures.
Seventeen-year-old Alexandria would rather risk her life fighting than waste it scrubbing toilets, but she may end up slumming it anyway. There are several rules that students at the Covenant must follow. Alex has problems with them all, but especially rule #1:Relationships between pures and halfs are forbidden.
Unfortunately, she's crushing hard on the totally hot pure-blood Aiden. But falling for Aiden isn't her biggest problem--staying alive long enough to graduate the Covenant and become a Sentinel is. If she fails in her duty, she faces a future worse than death or slavery: being turned into a daimon, and being hunted by Aiden. And that would kind of suck.

Review:
This is an interesting one because for the first half of the book I couldn't help but see similarites between this storyline and another series I've read. So much so that scenes almost appear to have been copied. This is the first time that I've really read a book that is SO similar. Bearing in mind I probably read a book a day I'm surprised it hasn't yet happened.

Saying that, I loved the prequel, Daimon, and once I got into reading this for its own merits its actually a great story. With a mixture of greek mythology, gods wreaking havoc, good guys and bad guys, and the fated/forbidden loves that are going on, this story pretty much has it all.

The only thing that slightly bothered me was Alex. I liked her, she's gutsy but I didn't get on with her and I don't know why. Sometimes it felt like her dialogue was a little forced. There was nothing really shocking or any twists that made you think of her differently. Its hard to put my finger on but, yeah, I didn't think she was that great a character. For me the lead needs to be alot stronger and Alex was a bit too away with the fairies sometimes. She lacked conviction in places.

However, despite that her back up team are great. And so are the two guys in her life, Aiden and Seth. I thought they were both incredibly well fleshed out.

On the whole I liked this, especially after half way through when the story finally found its true form. I'm looking forward to reading Pure and wish I didn't have to wait until April for Pure!

 CB

Here's the book trailer! Enjoy!




You can reach Jennifer L Armentrout here:

 Facebook: Half-Blood Page
Facebook: Profile 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from fellow readers. Write a message!