Review: A Beautiful Dark by Jocelyn Davies


My rating: 3 of 5 stars
Synopsis:
On the night of Skye's seventeenth birthday, she meets two enigmatic strangers. Complete opposites;like fire and ice;Asher is dark and wild, while Devin is fair and aloof. Their sudden appearance sends Skye's life into a tailspin. She has no idea what they want, or why they seem to follow her every move only that their presence coincides with a flurry of strange events. Soon she begins to doubt not just the identity of the two boys, but also the truth about her own past.

In the dead of a bitingly cold Colorado winter, Skye finds herself coming to terms with the impossible secret that threatens to shatter her world. Torn between Asher, who she can't help falling for, and Devin, who she can't stay away from, the consequences of Skye's choice will reach further than the three of them could ever imagine.
Review:
If you like books about Angels then you'll enjoy this one. If you enjoy stories about love triangles then you'll like it even more.

The story is a little different than the traditional Angels books out there. There's very little talk of fallen angels, god or heavenly beings. Its all about the Order and the Rebellion. Each of the two boys involved in the triangle are from a side, and Skye has to choose which side - after she realises that she's different, special.

The reason why I gave it only 3 was because I didn't really engage with Skye, the lead female. As things progressed her thoughts were always of the boys. Should she trust him, or should she trust the other one. Her romantic feelings were all over the place which I thought was a little too OTT. I'd be more worried about why I blew up the thermostat and why my eyes kept turning silver. And the true story behind the boys arrival - as told by Asher arround a campfire - was actually a little too confusing. I think the author may have overthought the reasons and should have simplified the battle (i'm presuming its a battle between both sides but it isn't really made clear).

The writing was good so credit to the author for her creative skills but as above it wasn't a book that blew me away, just helped pass the time.
You can reach Jocelyn Davies here:
 Facebook: Page
Goodreads 



6 comments:

  1. tnx 4 the review
    i have a copy
    maybe sometime soon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Roro
    Glad you liked the review. A bit of a tough one, this!
    When you read it, let me know what you think.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the reviews I've seen for this one have been three stars. I still want to read it, I'm on a bit of an angel kick lately (Unearthly, Hush, Hush) Now I'll know going in to it what to expect. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Amanda.
    Unearthly and Hush, Hush are better stories. I've started Halo so I'll let you know how that compares.
    Thanks for commenting!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Charlotte,
    Well-written review! I followed you here from Blogaholic and so glad I did. You have a new follower! I love to read everything, but my fav is fantasy, so I'm certain I'll enjoy tuning in for your reviews. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello! Thank you so much for commenting. I always try to be positive but still say it how it is.
    I love fantasy too so check out my books reviews. There's a few that you might enjoy.
    It's so great to know that Blogaholic works!
    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from fellow readers. Write a message!