Review: Crescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick


My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Synopsis:
Nora Grey's life is still far from perfect. Surviving an attempt on her life wasn't pleasant, but at least she got a guardian angel out of it: a mysterious, magnetic, gorgeous guardian angel. But, despite his role in her life, Patch has been acting anything but angelic. He's more elusive than ever and even worse, he's started spending time with Nora's arch-enemy, Marcie Millar.

Nora would have hardly noticed Scott Parnell, an old family friend who has moved back to town, if Patch hadn’t been acting so distant. Even with Scott's totally infuriating attitude Nora finds herself drawn to him - despite her lingering feeling that he's hiding something.

Haunted by images of her murdered father, and questioning whether her nephilim bloodline has anything to do with his death, Nora puts herself increasingly in dangerous situations as she desperately searches for answers. But maybe some things are better left buried, because the truth could destroy everything - and everyone - she trusts

Review:

When a book makes you really mad its because you really get involved with the storyline, or you really hate the story – full stop.

In this case, I really loved the storyline. I got SO mad at Nora countless times and finally saw the petulant teenager coming out that we weren’t exposed to so much in the first book.

Don't get me wrong. I love Nora. I wanted to find out how she would grow as a character and what would happen with Patch. Boy, was I in for a surprise?

Firstly we experience Nora’s emotional tantrums with Patch when he won’t tell her what his involvement is with Marcie. And for a fallen angel who’s …. years old, why exactly should he tell her? This makes her mad on numerous occasions, so much so that she asks him to quit being her guardian angel. Of course, we all know that no matter what happens, Patch will always have her back but it’s an exciting journey that we travel along with Nora’s POV. She also has her mind taken off Patch when Scott turns up. I was half expecting him to be gay, especially when he arrived at the dinner with a muscle ‘gym’ t-shirt and pink cap! I think the book description is misleading because I felt that Nora, in no way, fell for Scott!

So on to Patch. I didn’t like him much in the first book but the more I got into the story the more I liked him. As written earlier he’s old, so dealing with petty teenage emotions must have been a drain on him and no wonder he turned away. Except he turned to Marcie and although we see the story through Nora’s eyes, between the lines we can tell that Patch is only looking after Marcie and nothing is really emotionally going on. I liked Patch more when right at the last minute (and in only a handful of words) we realise that Patch saved Nora in the end.

Rixon really surprised me. I really wanted a strong settled relationship to happen with Vee and although it seemed headed in that direction the ending shot down and overturned everything I’d accepted to be true which just goes to show what exceptional storytelling the author gave us.

All in all, I was hoping to head in one direction but the truth is although I wanted to find out more regarding Nora’s father it wasn’t my hope that it would be the major storyline. Having said that, it all hangs in the balance now for a perfect book 3.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from fellow readers. Write a message!