Review - The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

My Rating: 4 out of 5

Synopsis: In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before—and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that will weigh survival against humanity and life against love.
My Review:

After starting this one I really didn't think I'd like it. It was so slow and drawn-out in the beginning. Almost everyone's rated this book between 4-5 stars, with the majority being 5, so I expected more. Maybe that was what ruined it for me, but it took almost the whole first part of the book to keep my interest. After that, it still felt a bit slow but picked up right after the first spark of love interest--can't stay away from the romance!

When the Games finally began I was hooked. Was I blown away? No. But I did truly enjoy it! And I'm extremely glad that I didn't give up in the beginning, because I can't wait to get hold of the next one. I felt for Katniss the whole time, she had both courage and skills to pull off winning the games, as well as a bit of rebellious streak. As for Peeta, he had my heart from the beginning and I loved every scene with him. He was so charming and supporting! The end of the Game was nerve-racking and the ending of the book had me extremely frustrated. I'm longing to know how it all turns out for these two!

The Hunger Games really is one of a kind. Horrible really, if you think about it; how little these people from the Districts mean to the Capitol. But it was good and I would recommend it! I'd just say be careful not to expect too much in the beginning, but instead give it a chance to deliver what I know it can, in it's own way

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from fellow readers. Write a message!