Review: Twisted Perfection (Perfection #1) by Abbi Glines



PublishersAbbi Glines
Published Date:  April 20th 2013
From: Bought 
My rating: 3 out of 5

Synopsis:
Life outside of her house was a new experience for Della Sloane. The dark secrets of her past weren’t something she ever intended to share with anyone. They would never understand. No one would ever get close enough to find out. There was always a chance she’d go crazy sooner than they expected…
Woods Kerrington had never been one to be attracted to fragile females. They seemed like too much work. He wasn’t in it for the work just the pleasure. A night full of naughty fun had been exactly what was on his mind when he’d laid eyes on the hot little number that didn’t know how to pump gas and needed some help.
What he didn’t know was she was as fragile as they came.
The carefree girl who spoke her mind and didn’t care what the world thought of her was more breakable than he could ever imagine…

Review:

If you want to read a book that is basically two characters having a lot of sex then this book is for you. If you want to read a New Adult book with a girl and a tragic, abused past then this is for you. If you want to read a story that is a bit cliché regarding southern American values and families stuck in the 19th century then yep, this book is for you too. 
Personally I didn't get on with it. It was a pleasant enough read but I wasn't wowed. Abbi Glines is a brilliant writer but the story wasn't really anything new although a great excuse to write lots of sex scenes. 
Della has had a cruel upbringing by her mother. I'm surprised she isn't more emotionally scarred from being locked in a house until she was 16. Cabin fever is a real thing and so is fear of the outside world. But the first chance Della meets a really hot guy she has dinner, drops her panties and gets some. The next chapter in the book tells us that she slept with her next boss. Up to this point I was feeling her pain and enjoying her having a good time but then she just came across as extremely slutty. Then she gets another job and her new boss, the really hot guy she met in the beginning is actually THAT guy. And yes, guess what happens. 
Now, there are a few things that I wanted to bring up at this point. Number 1) if you were locked up, abused and not allowed to go out I would imagine that even after 4 months you still would be slightly afraid of strangers. Especially in a sexual situation. You would have no worldly experience of meeting people, be naive and lack in social etiquette (and yes, I know she crept out of her house lots of times but that wouldn't change everything immediately). And Number 2) her character lacked depth. She appeared to have no friends except for Braden, no quirks, no personality apart from the night terrors that had her waking up screaming. Her dialogue was bland and didn't make her character grow at all throughout the book. The only thing she really liked to enjoy was Woods with his demanding hands and body. Oh, and the sex. 
I haven't read any of the Fallen series. I thought this was the first in a new series but I see on an Amazon page that its Book 4 in another series (confused?!). I have read Existence and the sequels so I know Abbi is a great writer and her storytelling skills are amazing but, and its a big but, I felt that Twisted Perfection was an excuse to get a book out in the ever growing New Adult market without really coming up with a new original storyline. Don't get me wrong. I didn't hate this book, and I actually stayed up and read the whole thing from beginning to end to see where I was being lead to. I hope the second book brings story depth.

Anyone who reads this, please don't hate me. I'm only writing what I feel :)
-CB



You can reach Abbi Glines here: 
Web   Goodreads


Available from Amazon:

    

1 comment:

  1. I actually wrote a really super negative reveiw today for a book I didn't like but that many peopel seem to love. I'm big into Abbi Glines and I promise I don't hate you :) Everyone's entitled to their own opinion!

    While I really, really enjoyed this book, I agree with you that I often have problems with books about women with tragic and abusive pasts being in sexual situations. I think that's a crutch that a lot of NA and Romance novelists are tending to use after the blow up after 50 Shades of Gray.

    Great review and don't ever apoligize for voicing your opinion!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from fellow readers. Write a message!